Why I'm Not Running a Spring Marathon

As some of you may know, my first marathon experience was no cake walk. (Well, I don't know if anyone's marathon existence has been "easy.") After watching my friends train through this past summer and run the Chicago Marathon, I gotta admit I was a little jealous. I know that it was the right decision for me to sit it out (because of the exam I was taking in early December). I was still able to go downtown, spectate and even run part of the race with my friends without worrying about the entire 26.2 distance.


Chicago Marathon 2012

Anyways, the point of this trip down memory lane is that I made a decision while I was studying. I wanted to try running another marathon. I had taken a year off and that made the desire that much greater. Using last year as a guide, I decided to run the Illinois Marathon. I was going to keep it a secret from most of my family and friends and run the race for me. But then, I told a few people about my secret (it was too hard for me to keep that big of a secret from my running friends). I trained through the winter last year... What would make this year any different? I could do my training just like last year and be ready to go by the end of April.

Training through the 2012 "winter"

Well, the return of "normal" Chicago winter temperatures is what's different. My heart and lungs feel like they're working double time when the temps are in the single digits (and the "feels like" temp is in the negative double digits). And the fact that someone left our group at work and we all have to pick up some slack until a new employee is hired (aka a fair share of late nights at the office).

A marathon is a huge deal. It is a big commitment both physically and mentally. I thought I was there and ready, but instead I've decided to sit this spring out. I'm already dying of boredom at the mere idea of doing any of my runs on the treadmill.

The thing about marathons that is so wonderful is that they'll always be there for you, when you're ready for them. There are so many of them and they're everywhere. It looks like spring 2013 isn't the time for me, but that doesn't meant that fall 2013, spring 2014, or fall 2014 will have the same answer...

Have you ever committed to a race and then decided not to do it? I waited to register for the Illinois Marathon so this decision doesn't leave me with an unwanted bib. Although, I am disappointed I won't get the chance to meet Kathrine Switzer at the expo.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment