I have previously spoken a few times about my experiences and issues with food (here and here). I talked about how I dealt with these thoughts and ideas during the beginning and end of my pregnancy. Now that our little nugget is here and I have one of those "post-baby bodies", I thought I would give an update about how I'm feeling and coping with some of these new thoughts, feelings, and body images.
During most of my pregnancy, I felt pretty confident in my body. I was gaining weight, just like I was supposed to. Many people told me "you're just all baby!" Well, after the baby came out, turns out that your stomach doesn't look the same as it did before a baby was in there. These are things people (and books) tell you, but I thought things would be different for me. I was physically fit before the pregnancy. I ran for more than half of the pregnancy! I thought I was going to bounce back and be in my pre-pregnancy jeans in no time.
Turns out my expectations did not quite line up with reality. I have a little pouch and not many of my pre-pregnancy shirts fit and none of my non-maternity jeans fit. I had a baby 7+ weeks ago and I'm still wearing maternity clothes. As it turns out, this is completely normal. Some/many women wear maternity clothes for months after having a baby. Hearing about this and experiencing it are two different things. At first, I was a bit upset about my post-baby body. But then, I look down at my little nugget (in my opinion, she happens to be extra adorable) and it makes me smile. The little pouch was worth it. I'm not so down on my weight or waistline. It is only a few pounds. Right now making sure I get enough calories so I can keep breastfeeding little Patsy is most important. (Dropping my caloric intake can affect my milk supply. Life is all about priorities.)
In the end, I'm still not in love with how I look, but I'm in love with my little baby who was so worth it. I know I'll have confidence in my body again some day, I just need to give myself some time. I know I'll get there eventually.
And because this post needs some photos of my adorable little nugget... Here are some photos from her first Halloween! In case you were wondering, Patsy was Princess Leia and Pepper was Chewbacca. :)
And because this post needs some photos of my adorable little nugget... Here are some photos from her first Halloween! In case you were wondering, Patsy was Princess Leia and Pepper was Chewbacca. :)







0 comments:
Post a Comment