A Working Mom's Fears

The day before I had Patsy, I had a doctor's appointment. In the waiting room was a new mom (baby looked about 6 weeks old) and all the other women in the waiting room were oohing and ahhing at her cute baby boy. Some of the women in the waiting room were asking her about her life as a mom, if she had other kids, etc. She said she was a stay at home mom and the other moms in the waiting room seemed to ooze with glee and excitement. "Being a stay at home mom is really the best thing for your children." "Oh I agree. There would be less problems in the world if more women stayed at home to raise their children." "Who wants their child to be raised by daycare?" This is what the conversation was like for at least 30 minutes.


I sat there with every fiber of my being, trying not to burst into tears. My thoughts were all over the place! I'm about to have a baby TOMORROW and I have to go back to work. What kind of a person does that make me? I'm going to be a horrible mom and I'm going to miss everything! The hubs heard what they were saying and he could tell I was upset. He said some reassuring comments to me (and made me smile because he is pretty much the best). He said that their conversation has set back women's lib about 20 years. He also made a snarky remark about the woman leading the conversation; something that I needed to hear. 

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I try my best not to judge other moms. We all have to do what works best for us in our own specific scenario. I think that includes not putting down other women and moms who are trying to make it work. Because I can't be with my baby all day, I'm trying to do my best to provide the best for her (continue breastfeeding until she is a year old, make my own baby food, family is watching her versus day care). Sometimes it is the little things in life that make all the difference! My little Patsy girl is doing pretty good and seems pretty happy!

Now that I'm back at work, I do miss her, but I understand that this is my life right now. I'm happy with my decision to go back to work. I NEED to find a way to make it work... and I'm getting there! I'm very fortunate to have lots of wonderful family to help make it so much easier to be a working mom. I'm constantly getting photos, videos and even some facetime phone calls.  And I don't know about you, but this looks like a pretty happy baby even if Mommy isn't there!



  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment