Taking a Break From Technology

I had a bit of an epiphany these last few days. Since Rock N Roll, I decided to take a few days off. I needed a mental break from the heat and the pressure I put on myself. This summer has been hot. The hottest summer in 70 years, to be exact. That doesn't really lend itself to PRs. Therefore, I've decided to take a break from my Garmin.


I depend on it too much. I let it control my workouts. I let it control how I feel about my run. I let it control me. I watched a recent interview with Ryan Hall where he said he's been training for the Olympic Marathon without a Garmin. He's been going by feel and pushing his body without worrying about how fast a particular split was. Coach Britt also did a post recently talking about the unreliability of Garmins and such. I've had some success running without my Garmin in the past, so I know it can be done.

I love my Garmin, don't get me wrong. We have a long history together with lots of great long runs, new distances, and PRs. However, I think it is time for us to spend some time apart. I love running and I want to get out there and remember why I love it. I also know that my Garmin will be there for me when I want/need it again.

And because it is Friday, here are a few GIFs to help visualize how I've felt this summer, and hopefully make you smile.

How I feel while running with my Garmin:
Source

While I feel while running without my Garmin:
Source
Happy Friday!!!

P.S. Have you checked out my interview with Dr. Andy Baldwin yet?

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment