Fresh Start Required

Last week I didn't really run all that much. I have plenty of excuses to justify it, for sure. In light of the latest season of Biggest Loser that I'm addicted to and their theme of "no excuses," I feel guilty.


I guess I would feel less guilty about it if I was still meeting my goal runs. However, that is not the case. Yesterday was attempt #2 of the "progressive" run (as seen in Runners World). The plan was to run 1 mile at 8:30 pace, 1 mile at 8:00, and 1 mile at 7:30. The first mile at 8:30 was no problem. Halfway through mile 2, I could feel that this was not good. I pounding my feet really hard, could barely breathe, and my body didn't feel right. I slowed down to a 9:00 pace for a quarter mile but tried to bump it up again for the last quarter mile (to a 7:30 pace). I couldn't keep the speed up and had to finish at 9:00 pace. There were a couple different factors that might be the cause. The main reason, I think, is that I didn't eat enough for lunch to have such an intense workout. Thinking of food as fuel, I don't think there was enough in the tank. breakfast: bowl of Crispex; Snack: banana; lunch: Lean Cuisine rigatoni. The plan was to eat a salad with my rigatoni but I got busy and didn't make the time to put it together. A mixture of not enough to eat as well as a failed week last week lead to an unsuccessful attempt. Thankfully, tomorrow is another day.

Tonight the plan is to do 5 miles with the dog at a leisurely pace. I received lots of fun running clothes for my birthday, so I cannot wait to test them out! I'm also doing another 5k this weekend. I am going to aim for another sub 23:00 (obviously) and see how things shake up. With my lack of speedwork in the past 2-3 weeks, I don't know if a sub 23:00 is possible. I'm running this race with a few other good competitors so I have hopes it will be a good one!

Yesterday I asked about race envy. I have been seeing some posts about the Disney marathon. Have you ever thought about completing the Goofy Challenge? I don't know about you, but that is one race where I do not have race envy. I think just a marathon or a half marathon is enough for me in one weekend.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment