Scones: The Perfect Weekend Breakfast

The other day I was talking to my cousin and she gave me a scone recipe. She said her husband has become a scone junkie since she started making these so I just had to give them a try. The recipe is simple enough with only a few ingredients.

Ingredients:
2 cups flour (I'll probably try whole wheat flour next time)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder (note: baking powder is different than baking soda)
1/2 tsp salt
1 pt (16 oz) whipping cream
toppings or whatever you'd like to mix in

I made mine with pb2 (but I didn't add enough and the flavor didn't come through), bananas (I probably could have used 2 bananas instead of 1) and chocolate chips (I used half the bag and this is the most dominant flavor)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix together all dry ingredients. Next, add in toppings until evenly distributed. Lastly, add in all of that whipping cream. Mix until there are no dry pockets. The batter will be very sticky.

Plop dollups of batter onto a greased baking sheet (I just spread a little olive oil around a baking sheet with a paper towel and that worked out well). Feel free to place dollups close together as the scones do not rise or expand while cooking. They pretty much keep their shape. Toss into the oven for 20-24 minutes.

The smaller ones were ready by about 20-22 minutes where I let the bigger guys cook for a little longer. I used an oven timer as it was hard to tell by looking at them if they were done.
Lay on a cooling rack for quicker post-cooking consumption.

This recipe was SUPER EASY and delicious. The only thing I didn't already have on-hand was whipping cream. I had one for breakfast this morning and will probably have one every day this week!  I think next time I'm going to try mixing in some frozen blueberries. I will let you know how they turn out! If you make this recipe, please let me know what ingredients you try and what works best for you!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment