First things first, I finally created a banner that I actually like. I hope you enjoy it! Thanks Picnik for offering premium status before you shut down for good. I'm sad I only recently discovered you.
Earlier this week I talked about my new kicks, Asics 2170.
I only had about a month to train for this half marathon because I was coming off of physical therapy after having an extremely weak core and subsequent knee pain. Once my core was stronger, the miles became easier. My goal was to finish, and that I did. As I begin to focus on half marathons more this year, I have become very nostalgic about my first one. At my mom's house the other day, I found this photo of us in a frame and it made me smile.
I am so happy, having just met my goal. I wasn't trying to run fast, break records, get a PR, or meet a specific time. I was just trying to finish. Since the marathon last year, I've really taken a step back and stepped outside my competitive box. Sometimes I've had the most fun just running with friends or running to meet a distance goal, not to speedily get to the finish. Don't get me wrong, I like being speedy too. I just now know that I don't have to be speedy all the time. Getting in 8 miles, is still 8 miles regardless of my pace. I think this is going to be my feeling towards the Get Lucky 21K that I am most recently obsessing about. I just want to finish and have fun with it. (However, the Palos Half Marathon in May is a different story.)
How do you help balance between your need for speed and the need to complete the miles? Sometimes do you sign up for a race just because you want to finish, not because you want a specific time? If so, what distance and how do your thoughts change from race to race?








0 comments:
Post a Comment