Yesterday I hit the treadmill during my lunch break for a tempo run. Spoiler alert: things did not go well. The plan was to do a 1/2 mile warm up, 3 miles at tempo, and a 1/2 mile cool down. Perhaps it was a bit of an ambitious speed workout after not having done much in the past month. Maybe I was just having a bad day. And maybe I just need to strengthen my core more before doing this type of workout. Either way, my shins started hurting me part way through the 2nd tempo mile. I didn't want to risk anything so I cut the workout a mile short (and did some foam rolling afterwards). I'm looking to get on the exercise bike or rowing machine for some cross training today so that should be helpful. I'm not quite sure what happened. Maybe I'm trying to do too much too soon? Maybe this was too soon to try and incorporate some speedwork? I'll keep it easy the rest of this week and see how things go. I'm looking forward to my first "long run" in awhile this weekend!
After my workout, I was pretty sweaty and gross but was able to whip up a sock bun and look halfway decent for the rest of the work day (after taking a shower from the neck down, due to the adjustable shower heads in our locker room showers). Do you workout on your lunch break? If I'm working out during the work day, I try to take my lunch break later so I am only gross for an hour or two instead of more.
![]() |
| Sweaty post-run photo |







0 comments:
Post a Comment