My Worst Race

This week, the MagMileRunner photo challenge is an interesting one.

Your worst race. Not necessarily your worst race photo, but a photo or representation of your worst race to date. It can be a photo of you before, during or after the race, or if you don’t have one, something that represents the race (maybe your bib, shirt, medal). And an explanation of why it was your worst race. 

Well, the answer to this one was easy! The Chicago Marathon 2011.

I wasn't properly prepared hydration-wise. I didn't have a proper fueling plan. I let the my mind overwhelm my body while trying to prepare. I didn't have a plan b. Anything other than my time goal was failure. I didn't adjust when things needed adjusting. BUT, I learned so much from the experience. Not only about myself, but about running and life in general. I think I am a different person and a different runner because of it. It is okay to not meet your goals sometimes. It is okay to fall short of everyone and your own expectations. If you finish a marathon, you are not a failure. It took me a long time to realize this and I'm glad I did. :)

To find out more about my marathon experience as a whole, click here. It is also one of my favorite posts, fully discussing all of my lessons learned from my marathon!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment